Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Autism Awareness Month 4/17 - Cassie - Friend

Jack started daycare at three months. It was an incredible in-home program run by one of the most amazing, loving women my wife and I ever met. Cassie is her daughter and was 13 when we first met her. She helped mom out after school and grew fond of Jack... ding ding ding! Babysitter!

But as things go, Cassie grew up. She became an amazing young woman, and as many amazing young women do, is getting married and moving away. Cassie has been Jack's babysitter for most of his life. I remember when Jack was going through his "first grade regression" we had asked Cassie to watch him one evening. My wife said to Cassie "I have to tell you, Jack is different than the last time you saw him. It's a little tougher. Can you still come?"

"I would never give up on my jack jack"

We said good-bye to Cassie about three weeks ago. She came by to visit and gave Jack this book she had written for him.

She, through all of his years, has been the one that truly gets him, truly loves everything about him, and truly guides him.

All of us will miss you.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I tearfully present Cassie...



All you Need to Know is...

You and I have been friends for a very long time...

You have the sweetest smile... Don't forget to show it everyday.

There are a few things I would like you to remember...

You are a very special person! And you should show as many people as you can how AMAZING you can be!

You have the best Mom and Dad...

They will love you no matter what. Always remember that when you need help or just a big hug, you can count on them, they will protect you.

You have the best little sister...

Jade is the sweetest and most kind person you can count on. She will bug you like a little sister should. Jack, just remember to teach her important things that a big brother should. In the end you will both have each others back.

Some days are harder than others...

Everyone has bad days. In life things don't always go according to plan. Sometimes it takes someone very smart to understand that. Remember to just take a deep breath and find a positive way through it.

Always find beauty and meaning in the simplest of things...

You don't need me to tell you this... I just never want you to forget it.

Having fears are not a sign of weakness...

Being afraid of something is only something to overcome and make you stronger. Never let fear in the way of where you want to be in life.

Lastly and most importantly...

No matter where I am or what I am doing, I will always be there for you. I will be a good friends that will always:
Believe in you
Think of you
Wish the best for you
Visit you when I can
Always call you "jack jack" (like in the Incredibles)
Think of you when I eat chicken nuggets
And most importantly... Love you.


Ed. note: One of the THOUSANDS of selfsies we have of Jack and Cassie


Ed. Note: With the Warhol effect.


Ed. note: One of the pages of the book she wrote him.

2 comments: