Tuesday, November 29, 2016

No, Jeff Sessions. No.


The ADA, IDEA part 2 (School-aged Children), and NCLB are arguably the three single-most important pieces of legislation ever passed for children with disabilities in schools.

All three were passed under a Republican President.

***

"I mean, look at all these short-bus kids. How much are we paying to keep them alive? They're never going to contribute anything to society."

"I don't condone violence, but, people don't realize how hard it is to raise a special needs child. I wouldn't have thrown mine off a bridge, but I understand."

“We have created a complex system of federal regulations and laws that have created lawsuit after lawsuit, special treatment for certain children, and that are a big factor in accelerating the decline in civility and discipline in classrooms all over America. I say that very sincerely.”

Arguably the three single-most offensive lines I have heard about children with disabilities.

***

The third quote is from Senator Jeff Sessions. It was said in 2000, arguing against the IDEA part 2. 

Today, Mr. Sessions is President-Elect Trump's appointee for US Attorney General. 

***

The US Attorney General does not have the power alone to overturn Federal Legislation, but he/she can represent those that wish to. He/she can "lead the charge" to "represent the President or public of the US for legal matters".

***

My parents generation and my generation have fought for these rights. We are responsible for those "Lawsuit after Lawsuit" that have "accelerated the decline in civility and discipline in classrooms all over America."

And we will continue to do so.

***

A bigger and more troubling concern than Jeff Sessions, if there can be one, is that I fear we are losing public perception. We live in a nation that both of our last Presidents openly mocked individuals with disabilities on their campaign trail (remember Obama's "Special Olympics" joke on Jay Leno). We are living in a Nation that celebrates Ann Coulter's use of the word retarded to describe those that disagree with her. A Nation where the phrase "libtard" is seen as a clever quip, protected under "freedom of speech" and not "hate speech" or "fighting words".

I worry for my son and daughter. 

I worry for your sons and daughters.

I worry even more for their children. 

***

Please, write your Senators and Representatives.

Please write our President and President-Elect.

I beg you. 

Our children need it.






No comments:

Post a Comment