Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue





April was spent at Find My Eyes hosting guest blogs for Autism Awareness Month. I set out a goal to get new voices, or under represented voices, heard in the autism community. I feel it was a success.

It was fun to play editor/moderator for a month, but, more importantly, it was quite valuable.

Managing a project like this actually took a lot of work and time.

So, why did I do it?

My goal was to raise autism awareness by hearing new voices. All of us bloggers realistically write about the same old stuff. We've all written (or will write) the IEP story, the first diagnosis story, to medicate or not medicate story, the public meltdown story, etc. What makes them different? What makes you have a favorite blogger? It's at least one of three things 1) Voice  2) Perspective  3) Circumstance  

It makes us loyal readers. It's who we look to for either entertainment or information.

It's who we want to share with others.

It's who we look to "raise awareness".

I would love to say I have a gigantic following that I am helping educate and raise awareness among (and I hope I have done so), but the truth is, I'm only trying to raise awareness for one person.

And that is my son.

Nearly a year ago, I wrote a blog post called "Tomorrow is a Long Time" about fearing the moment that I would have to tell Jack he was autistic. Take a moment to read it, if you can. That is how I felt last year.

In the very near future, My wife and I will sit Jack down and tell him.

I will tell him and show him that 33 people (some of which he's never met), care about him. 33 people took the time out of their days to write. They took the time to help.

I write this blog to inform/entertain/advocate on Jack's behalf.

But I do not have the power to change the world. I do not have the skills to change the world.

One of Julie's bosses said this about Jack: "That kid. He's fascinating. Whenever he's around I just can't take my eyes of him. I wish I had the power to command a room like that."

In the near future, I hope to make Jack a part of this blog. I truly can not wait to get his perspective on autism. He is an amazing, endearing, and commanding kid. Those skills will serve him well.

And if he does not want to be a part of this blog, I will bid you all adieu.

The next logical step for me is advocacy for my son, and Find My Eyes is going to head in that direction.

Honestly, there is little more I can do to raise awareness, that becomes your job, Jack.

Self advocacy is your birth right, not mine.

I have no doubts that you will change the world, my son.

Until you do, I will continue to try my hardest to stand between you and harm's way in all the dark places you must travel.











5 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    And isn't that allthat each and every one of us can really do? ADVOCATE for our children. Some of us-- like yourself - get to "let go" at one point.
    Some of us, sadly, do not.
    But we raise awareness.
    Our own included. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much love, my friend. Maybe the redheads can get together soon and show the world their awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fantastic series...and I'm so thankful you provided one safe place for all of us to share our perspectives. I will be thrilled to read Jack's thoughts on Autism someday...I have no doubt that he will share some pretty amazing ideas just like his mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really a wonderful month of perspectives. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little late to the party, but this post reminds me of the night I told my kids they were autistic. I had been working on a speech. A plan. Trying to orchestrate the perfect moment to gently let me kid(s) know that something was different.

    As I tucked my kids into bed, my daughter was telling me a story about a girl in her class who was acting in an unusual manner earlier that day. My daughter's best friend commented that the girl must be autistic. Led to an amazing conversation, and I called my son into the room to participate. That was over a year ago, and my daughter still proudly announces "I *am* autism!" or "I'm autistic, you know?" or "Oh, Mommy, I'm sorry. I think that was my autism talking."

    The moment will find you.

    ReplyDelete