If you made it here, you've noticed I have changed the name of my blog and corresponding Facebook page from "Autism Sucks" to "Find my Eyes". There are several reasons:
1. I never liked the title "Autism Sucks". Don't get me wrong, I think it does, and still do.
2. "Autism Sucks" is/was offensive. I agree. I received all of your protest emails and comments, and since I was never married to the title anyway... I listened. I don't want my child growing up thinking I hate him... he has enough trouble with emotions already, why pile on guilt. Don't get me wrong, however, I still think Autism Sucks and you won't be finding any flowery "My Child's Autism is a gift" type crap here. This is still a blog for parents raising children with special needs, and, that is hard effin' work... at times, it even sucks.
3. Several of my friends and/or professionals could not be affiliated with an "Autism Sucks" facebook page. Understood. Welcome.
4. "Find My Eyes" is the most common saying around our house. Any ABA families will know why. Besides, "Calm the fuck down" was already taken.
5. My wife hated "Autism Sucks" and I listen to her (mostly).
If you loved "Autism Sucks", I apologize for the change. You are more than welcome to join the new Facebook page (Find my Eyes). It has the same banner.
Additionally, I'm no longer going to remain anonymous.
My name is Jordan. I live in the Los Angeles area. I am 37 and a stay at home dad.
My son is Jack. He's almost 6. He started first grade about three weeks ago and it has not been an easy transition for him (or us).
It's liberating to not try to remain anonymous, and, to finally meet you all.
This is my son and I.